Born to do Math 61 – Many Worlds, JFK
Scott Douglas Jacobsen & Rick Rosner
May 15, 2017
[Beginning of recorded material]
Rick Rosner: But you want to talk about the Many Worlds in that way, that is not just acceptable, that is pretty much undeniable but when I talk about Many Worlds like some thing across an abstract space like the set of all worlds in which you’re able to see JFK assassinated. Those things may have some mathematical legitimacy. In that, you might be able to itch some quantum wave signature that could have another world and another time in a quantum wave that describes a universe like ours, but JFK didn’t get assassinated. But whether that means that that world has a kind of existence, you could probably argue it either way.
And probably it doesn’t matter, except as something that is fun to think about and is a convenient framing device. And it is something that you can also do physics without. You can’t do quantum physics without quantum indeterminacy, without addressing big systems where there is not enough information to assign one definite state to some aspects of that system.
[End of recorded material]
American Television Writer
Scott Douglas Jacobsen
Editor-in-Chief, In-Sight Publishing
Endnotes Four format points for the session article:
- Bold text following “Scott Douglas Jacobsen:” or “Jacobsen:” is Scott Douglas Jacobsen & non-bold text following “Rick Rosner:” or “Rosner:” is Rick Rosner.
- Session article conducted, transcribed, edited, formatted, and published by Scott.
- Footnotes & in-text citations in the interview & references after the interview.
- This session article has been edited for clarity and readability.
- American Psychological Association. (2010). Citation Guide: APA. Retrieved from http://www.lib.sfu.ca/system/files/28281/APA6CitationGuideSFUv3.pdf.
- Humble, A. (n.d.). Guide to Transcribing. Retrieved from http://www.msvu.ca/site/media/msvu/Transcription%20Guide.pdf.
In-Sight Publishing and In-Sight: Independent Interview-Based Journal by Scott Douglas Jacobsen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.in-sightjournal.com and www.rickrosner.org.
© Scott Douglas Jacobsen, Rick Rosner, and In-Sight Publishing and In-Sight: Independent Interview-Based Journal 2012-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Scott Douglas Jacobsen, Rick Rosner, and In-Sight Publishing and In-Sight: Independent Interview-Based Journal with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.